It is clear that the British are leading this embryonic movement that is growing worldwide. The posts should be regarded as the very beginning of the acknowledgement and confrontation concerning the climate crisis, and the threat of human species extinction. The posts feature Prof. Jem Bendell (in one post, also Matthew Slater) who has delivered a number of talks to Deep Adaptation groups associated with this movement. However, I think regarding this subject, there are no experts about what we should do or think about human extinction, which is becoming incontrovertible by the week. The Forum's concern is just a reflection of the advantages of membership in the upper-middle class in mainly capitalist Britain that has allowed this highly trained class of people to become informed about this subject.
These "experts" often glibly mention that dealing with this subject should somehow be liberating and even mention the rewards of joy, love, and healing to those willing to confront the subject. Some, like Bendell, even mention in passing that capitalism has some relation to our extinction, but that is as far as they go in exploring the subject. Bendell approves of the age-old religions such as Buddhism and Sufism, and suggests that they might be helpful.
It is clear to me that many organizers and the leaders of Deep Adaptation groups are recommending only individualist solutions for dealing with the unthinkable and recommending that commiserating with other upper-middle class people will be helpful. And always added to that is the requirement of non-violence. We wouldn't want to upset our capitalist masters who fear violence, but never hesitate to use violence against others if they threaten their system that delivers to them so much wealth and power over the rest of us (sarcasm). But enough of my bias. Read his scripted and/or listen to his talks, which depart occasionally from his script with ad lib remarks, to see what you think.
- Will We Care Enough to Matter to Them? Climate Justice, Solidarity and Deep Adaptation. By Jem Bendell.
- The Spiritual Invitation of Climate Chaos by Jem Bendell.
- Leadership for Deep Adaptation by Jem Bendell.
- Why Deep Adaptation needs re-localisation by Matthew Slater and Jem Bendell.
- Foundations of Sustainable Leadership 2020 A course description (and costs) delivered by Jem Bendell at University of Cumbria based in Carlisle, Britain.
- Deep Adaptation Forum. Various links related to this website.